Learn Photo Editing: Tutorials for Designers and Photographers
Photoshop provides designers and photographers with the opportunity to professionally edit photos for the best results. While there are almost endless possibilities for photo editing with Photoshop, there can be a lot to learn.
Here we will present links to various tutorials on a wide range of topics related to photo editing. If you’re looking to learn more about a specific type of editing or technique, or if you are just getting started with photo editing, this post should serve as an excellent resource for you. The tutorials listed below are separated into categories to make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
Want to change eye color or make eyes “pop” a little more? Photoshop allows you to do wonders.
- Change the Eye Color in Photoshop
- 3 Photoshop Steps to Eyes that Pop
- Making Eyes Pop
- 5 Ways to Make Eyes Pop in Photoshop Elements
- How to Make Eyes Sparkle in Photoshop
- Enhancing Iris Color
- Apply Eye Makeup
- Photoshop Fashion Retouch – Shadowy, Sultry Eyes
One of the most common tasks in retouching photos is working with skin. You can remove blemishes and improve the look of skin pretty quickly, and these tutorials will show you how to do it.
- Really Cool Digital Makeup in Photoshop in 10 Minutes
- Minimizing Red Blotches on the Skin in Post Processing
- How to Retouch without Actions or Plugins
- Super Fast and Easy Facial Retouching
- Quick and Effective Facial Photo Retouching
- Easily Smooth and Soften Skin in Photos
- Remove Freckles
- Fix Blown Out Skin
- Airbrushing: Natural Smooth Skin
- Bring Tanned Look to the Skin
- Smooth Skin
- How to Change Skin Tone in Photoshop
- Emphasize or Hide Skin Flaws with One Layer
- Removing Acne, Skin Blemishes with the Spot Healing Brush in Photoshop
There may be times when you need to make a change to hair color. A more common task involving hair is to make a complex selection for removing your subject from the background. Not an easy task when hair is involved, but you can learn how to do it with the help of these links.
- Advanced Hair Selection Video Tutorial
- Advanced Hair Masking in Photoshop
- Reducing 5 O’Clock Shadow and Beard Stubble in Photoshop
There may be times when you’ll want to slightly reduce the size of a nose to make it look a little more attractive.
Whitening teeth is a common task in photo editing, and fortunately Photoshop makes it pretty easy.
- Whiten Teeth to Improve a Smile
- Create a Hollywood Smile
- Natural Teeth Whitening
- Whiten Teeth Quickly and Easily
The tutorials listed here will show an overall approach to editing multiple aspects of a portrait.
- Professional Photo Retouching a Bikini Model
- Ultimate Makeup
- Beautify a Face
- Photo Enhancement Tutorial
Lighting is an essential element to photography. While you can’t totally change the lighting in Photoshop after the photo has been taken, there are some things that you can do with lighting during the editing process.
- Add Dynamic Lighting to a Flat Photograph
- Control Light in Photoshop
- Lighting Effects and Photoshop Elements
- Light and Shadows in Photoshop
- Simple Focused Lighting Effect in Photoshop
- Trendy Neutral Photo Effect
- Adaptive Contrast
Working with Levels in Photoshop:
If you’re new to photo editing in Photoshop, understanding levels should be a priority. It’s not complicated and it can be used with a high percentage of photographs for improving the image.
- Introduction to Photoshop Levels Adjustments
- Improving Image Tone with Levels in Photoshop
- Fix Tone and Color with Levels in Photoshop
- The Magic of Levels
- Rescuing Poorly Exposed Photos with Photoshop Levels
- Photoshop Levels Tool: 6 Tips All the Pros Use
Working with Curves in Photoshop:
Working with curves can be one of the more complicated tasks to learn and understand, but curves are extremely powerful and learning how to use them should be a priority.
- Introduction to Photoshop Curves Adjustment Layers
- Photoshop Curves
- Photoshop Curves Tool: 6 Techniques Every Photographer Must Know
- Color Correction in Photoshop with the Curves Adjustment Tool
- Learn the Power of Curves (video)
- Solving Exposure Problems: Using Curves
Working with Adjustment Layers in Photoshop
Adjustment layers allow you to make non-destructive adjustments when editing your photos, so you’ll be able to undo or edit changes easily.
- A Basic Guide to Adjustment Layers
- Non-Destructive Photo Editing with Adjustment Layers in Photoshop
- Applying Fixes Using Adjustment Layers and Masks
- Dodging and Burning with Adjustment Layers and Masks
- Introduction to Black & White Adjustment Layers in Photoshop
Working with Layer Masks in Photoshop:
Layer masks have several different uses and purposes, including extracting objects.
- Photoshop 101: How to Use Layer Masks
- Introduction to Layer Masks in Photoshop
- Multiply with Layer Mask
- Layer Masking in Photoshop
Photoshop’s Blend Modes:
Photoshop offers a lot of different blend modes that impact how layers interact with each other, and you’ll need to understand the basics of those blend modes in order to get the most out of them.
- Layer Blend Modes Tutorials
- Photoshop Blend Modes Explained
- Visual Guide to Layer Blending Modes in Photoshop
- The 10 Most Useful Photoshop Blending Modes
Removing an object from the background is a common task, and fortunately with most subjects it can be done fairly easily.
- Different Ways to Remove a Background from Any Photo (video)
- Photoshop Elements: Removing Background Content (video)
- Photoshop Background Eraser Tool
- The Erase Background Tool: Removing Complex Backgrounds
Replacing a Sky in Photoshop:
Have you ever looked at a photo and thought it would be so much better if the sky was bland and boring? Well, replacing the sky can be done fairly easily with most photos.
- Replace the Sky in Your Images (video)
- How to Replace a Sky: Photoshop Effects to Make Your Landscapes More Attractive
There are all kinds of different things you can do with colors in Photoshop, and these tutorials will get you started.
- Correcting Color Cast with Levels (video)
- Precission Color Control in Photoshop
- How to Correct Green Color Cast
- Enhance Colors in an Image with Photoshop’s Photo Filter
- Split Toning
- How to Pop Color Selectively Using Channel Mixers and Layer Masks in Photoshop
- Enhance Your Image with Selective Color Adjustments
- Black and White Adjustment in Photoshop
- Artistic Sepia
- Retro Polaroid Coloring on Your Photo
- Changing Color in Photoshop
- Adjust Individual Colors Easily in Photoshop Elements
- Digital Cross Processing in Photoshop
Photoshop can also be very helpful for restoring old photos and prints that have been damaged.
- Photo Restoration: An Introduction & Example (video)
- How to Do Photo Restorations in Photoshop
- Restore a Heavily Damaged Photo with Photoshop
- Restore Old Photos: How to Rescue Vintage Prints and Family Pictures
- Digital Photo Restoration
High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography is a favorite of many people, and Photoshop’s built in HDR capabilities make it rather straightforward. An alternative is to use other software that is created specifically for HDR images.
- HDR Photography in Photoshop
- Easy HDR Technique
- HDR Tone Mapping with Layers in Photoshop
- Fake Saturated HDR in 5 Minutes
Looking for hosting? WPEngine offers secure managed WordPress hosting. You’ll get expert WordPress support, automatic backups, and caching for fast page loads.